Thursday, April 19, 2012

Hong Kong by Storm

Hong Kong has had lightning and thunder showers for the past 3 days.  I love storms, so I'm not complaining... okay, I have one complaint... the damn umbrellas.

The flash ruined the top of this one. Still a cool strike.
Because it's so hot and humid here, people don't wear rain coats, EVERYONE uses an umbrella.  That means that overly crowded streets filled with people shorter than me, are walking around clueless to their umbrella spikes which happen to be right at my eye level.  I'm shocked that I didn't get an eye injury today when I was downtown over lunch hour.  It was madness.

Anyhow, the real purpose to this entry is to share some pictures I managed to take of the storms.  These were taken with the new camera, but my lessons aren't until Tuesday, so it was a 'trial and error' approach to photography.  I took about 500 photos to get these 7 good shots.  It makes me really respect the investment and skill level in the 'olden days' when people did this with film cameras.  I'd have gone bankrupt.  (Correction: I would have made Foley bankrupt, seeing as I'm still unemployed).

I was able to snap off so many shots because the storms seem to last a very long time, and with frequent lightning flashes.  This link is for a video I shot from our bedroom windows on Tuesday night.

It's finally a clear night tonight, although thunder showers are forecast for all the way through to Tuesday.  Maybe I'll get more shots after my lessons.


Double whammy.

The clouds make me love this one.  The lightning is subtle, and in the left of the frame, but the ominous clouds rolling down the mountain on the right give me the shivers.  

Lightning coming down the mountain when she comes...

Crazy how the lightning splits out in different directions.

Double strike, one up the mountain, one down.


My favourite one.  Bank of China building getting hit.  The rectangle building in front is Foley's office tower. 


2 comments:

  1. Amazing pics Trish!!! I love lightning storms too, but you have the best vantage point from where you are living!! And these are 'amateur' pics.......I can't wait until you are professionally trained!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thumbs up! See you and all your eyes next week...! ;-)

    ReplyDelete