Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Phenomenal Philippines

I'll explain the fire dancer in the sequent bikini later... this is social experiment to see if I get more blog hits with a scantily clad girl as the 'thumbnail' photo... thank you for contributing to my research.

Happy belated Easter!






Last Wednesday was a holiday here called Qingming Festival.  This day off from work (ahem, for those who work) is a dual purpose holiday.  It is a day designated to "enjoy the greenery outside during springtime" as well as "tend to the graves of departed ancestors".  True story, I just checked wikipedia because I had no idea why we had a holiday.  It is also referred to as "tomb sweeping day". [Side note: Ontario has 8 stat holidays, including 'Family Day', Hong Kong has 17 stat holidays.  We'll safely call this an upgrade.]

Anyhow, last Monday Mike emailed from work saying that he booked the Thursday off, giving him 6 days off, (since Easter Monday is also a stat here, naturally).  He said I should look into a short vacation, leaving two days later.  Although flights were slim (Expedia pulled through when 3 different travel agents told me there was 'absolutely nothing'... and they wonder why the industry is dying... sheesh), we booked a last minute trip to the Philippines, to an island called Boracay.

It was stunning.  We spent Wednesday evening to Sunday morning in a wonderful beach routine of "rinse, heat, repeat".  Aside from one scuba dive, delicious meals and taking sunset photos, we rarely left the beach.  [Photos of scuba diving will be posted later, once the film is developed from the disposable camera... I can't believe we used to wait like this for all pics... nutty.]  So there honestly aren't many stories to share from our time here, but I did want to post plenty of photos so you can see the incredible beauty of this place. 












Our last night there we had a dinner on the beach where local performers entertained us as we ate with waves crashing a couple metres away.  This performance was where we saw the fire dancing girl in sequent bikini (likely a very authentic and traditional Filipino costume).  I have uploaded a clip to youtube of their impressive performance.  In the words of Mike Foley, "I can't be certain, but I think I just watched a Filipino ninja manipulate fire."  It was a great way to spend our last night in paradise. 


A wee sand crab... look at those black beady eyes.  I followed him like a paparazzi for a half hour to get this shot.








One of his many talents... see youtube clip.







 Makes me giggle that the man front&centre is taking the 'wrong' pic. 












It is a remarkable thing about living here, that we can explore incredible places within a couple hours of 'home'.  

3 comments:

  1. I think that new camera of yours takes some amazing photo's!!!! You should start a buisness while you are there!!! I'm glad to see that both you and Mike made it home alive and well from your trip! Those Fire Dancers were truly amazing. Keep up the great work Trish and I'd like to know the outcome of the almost nude pic!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish, these shots are amazing! We feel like we're right there with you. Keep up the great work!


    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great getaway Trish! Your pics of "paradise" are amazing!
    Devon

    ReplyDelete