Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Birds, flowers and fish

Mike has been travelling A LOT.  In the past few weeks, he could have circled the world for the number of kilometres he has spent in the air.  I used to get very lonely when he'd travel, but I've gotten better at meeting friends and filling my days when he is away.

I met a friend here, who just happens to be from Kitchener-Waterloo, AND she went to the same high school as I did (just not at the same time)... small world.  Our 'KW roots' and love of hiking meant we got along immediately. Last week, we (Linda and I) were planning to do a gorgeous hike which ends at a beach, but weather being what it has been (grey, poor visibility, very rainy) we altered our plan to spend a day wondering the markets instead.

In Kowloon (an area of Hong Kong, right across Victoria Harbour) there are many markets and cool places to explore.  We decided to check out three markets, all within a couple of blocks or each other.

Lots of fish, on display and ready to take home...

Scary Sting-Ray

Linda with wee fishies...
First we went to the Goldfish Market.  Hong Kongers believe that fish are auspicious, and that having fish as 'pets' will bring good luck.  In a culture that seems to revolve around it, anything here that involves luck is hugely popular.  The Goldfish Market is an impressive street lined with stalls and shops with all kinds of fish and other marine life... there are turtles, snakes and even sting rays available to be purchased and carried home.  The most impressive to me where the huge 'cork boards' with various fish hanging out in baggies, asking for a home.  If it weren't for the necessary task of cleaning an aquarium, I may have come home with some lucky fish.

A short stroll from the Goldfish Market is the Bird Market (also called the bird garden).  The bird garden has 70+ stalls of birds and bird related products (including live grasshoppers on sale for feeding your birds!).  The ornate cages are stunning and the sheer variety of birds is very impressive.  There are thousands of caged birds, but also many 'free' birds in fly around your head, likely attracted to their homeys and the copious bird feed in the area. Taking bird ownership to a new level here, bird owners actually bring their caged birds to the bird garden to WALK THEM.  No joke.  They walk their cage around, giving the bird some fresh air.  Hilarious.

Finally, a mere 30 second walk from the Bird Market is the stunning Flower Market.  The stalls and shops of the flower market have everything from fresh cut flowers, to plants, to outdoor furniture and water features.  In love with the lush greenery, Linda and I were inspired to start indoor gardens in our apartments that don't have balconies.  We chose the pots, soil, plants, seeds and watering cans we wanted.  Then, like everything in Hong Kong, scheduled the delivery of our choices.  You can get ANYTHING delivered to your door here... I love that convenience because it would have been a lot to cart home on the metro.  The following day, Linda and I met at her place and potted our plants.  If I can keep these alive and growing, I will be very proud (I have a track record of killing household plants).


Roses each wrapped in foam.



Beginnings of tomatoes... apparently I put too many seeds per space.  I'm learning....

L > R - tomato, mint, lettuce just sprouting, hot peppers, sweet basil and Thai basil.

On a day when I almost wanted to buy an aquarium with fish, a bird in an intricate cage and a water feature... I'd say it was 'lucky' that Foley only had to come home to some new house plants.



1 comment:

  1. Wow Trish you really did come home with a green thumb instead of a fish or bird. I love all of the vibrant colours of everything you exlpored. I can't believe all of these things exist so close to your home! I'm also impressed that in a country with soooooo many people you found someone from Waterloo!!! You were always good at Where's Waldo!;)

    ReplyDelete