Sunday, June 3, 2012

Amazing Outlying Islands

One amazing thing about HK are the hundreds of outlying islands that surround this mega city (technically a part of the city, actually).  Many islands are not inhabited, or difficult to access, but many other islands have regular ferry service running to and from downtown.  There are people who actually commute from these islands everyday.  Not exactly your typical Mississauga/401 commute.

In the past two weeks I went with my 'Foon Ying' group (Foon Ying means Welcome in Cantonese) to two of these outlying islands.  The outlying islands are all different, but none have buildings higher than 3 stories (a bylaw) and so the natural views are maximized and the congestion is minimized.  First, we went to explore Lamma Island.

Commuter bikes at ferry dock.
Lamma Island was pretty great.  It is pedestrian and bike traffic only, no motor vehicles (aside from little golf-cart like delivery vehicles), and has a bit of a reputation as a 'hippie island'.  There were some pretty cute organic cafes and 'all natural' food marts supporting that image.  It is known for incredible seafood restaurants along the shore line (naturally, all I can attest to are very yummy steamed veggies and tofu).  The island is peaceful and tranquil with only 6000 inhabitants.  We strolled around the narrow streets and then crossed to the opposite side of the island (~35 min. walk), where there was a beautiful beach.  At first you don't see it, but as you walk out of the trees and onto the warm sand, there it is... a huge coal power plant.  My quest for a good swimming beach continues.  I really did love this place, and it's only a 25 minute and $2 ferry ride from downtown Hong Kong.

"Welcome to Lamma"
Beautiful Beach...
Until you see this.
Narrow streets of Lamma
My Foon Ying group.
The second island we went to visit was called Tai O.  Tai O took my breath away.  It is a traditional Chinese fishing village.  The local population, called Tanka people, live in houses on stilts over tidal flats because they "do not feel safe on land".*  It was truly an amateur photographer's DREAM.  I have included many, many pictures of Tai O, because I found it so unique and beautiful.  The only 'downside' to Tai O for me was the making of shrimp paste.  Shrimp paste is very popular in cooking here and around Asia, and Tai O is a major manufacturing source of this stuff.  They were literally making huge barrels of this stuff in the streets.  The smell is almost indescribable, but I'll try...  Horrific.  Repugnant. Vile.  This is not just me and my aversion to seafood, everyone would hold their breath and cringe as we passed the ad hoc manufacturing sites.  It's only about 30 degrees right now too, I'd hate to smell that stuff in the 40 degree heat of the summer.  Yikes.  All told, I think this was my favourite day  trip that I've done so far.  It's only 30 minute ferry ride, followed by a 50 minute bus ride from central HK, but it feels like you are truly in the heart of China and a whole world away from the crazy concrete jungle of Hong Kong Island.


Stilted homes


Traditional chinese medicine shop
Strolling streets of Tai O.



Making shrimp paste in the street





A big laugh... probably at me.




Love straw hat + hard hat combo
The village draw bridge






My Foon Ying friends
* true story, according to: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/attractions/outlying-taio-fishing-village.html


1 comment:

  1. WOW Trish your pictures are amazing as per usual!! I swear you should be writing for some kind of travel magazine!;) I'm glad to see that you are getting out and seeing the whole country. Hopefully you'll have your favourites all ready mapped out to visit when I get over there!:)
    Keep up the great work!!!!

    ReplyDelete